Even the best and brightest analysts couldn’t have predicted the upsets in this year’s NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. To show that you’re not alone when crying over your busted bracket, our team decided to create an infographic that shows that we’re all in the same boat.
Check out these stats:
- 4 brackets out of 8 million in ESPN’s Tournament Challenge correctly predicted 15 of the Sweet 16 teams in this year’s March Madness.
- The odds of filling out a perfect bracket this year are a staggering 1 in 9.2 quintillion.
- You have a better chance of hitting of hitting 4 holes-in-one in a single round of golf than filling out a perfect bracket.
The biggest story this year was Florida Gulf Coast University. Now we know what you’re asking yourself, what does FGCU stand for? Were they those gosh darn kids who refused to stop dunking on everyone? Yes, it was them, and it’s safe to say that you didn’t have FCU in your Sweet 16. They unfortunately lost to their same-state rival last week, but not before an impressive run.
FGCU embodies everything that makes March great — a 15 seed we’ve never heard of taking the tournament by storm while renaming their hometown Fort Myers, #DUNKCITY. They’re a reminder that no matter what odds we face getting out of bed every morning, there’s still a chance we’ll overcome our problems. It’s bigger than sports, and it’s why we watch this little thing called March Madness. There’s nothing like asking that beautiful Cinderella team if the glass slipper fits, just like it did for:
- 8th seeded Villanova in 1985 (Lowest seed to ever win tournament)
- Butler is the only team to make it to the Final Four while not seeded #1 or #2
- VCU in 2011
- GMU in 2006
- LSU in 1986
Underdog schools who make a deep run in the tournament experience what we call “The Cinderella Effect.“ No school could buy the publicity it receives as their team makes it further in the tournament. The Cinderella Effect not only brings the team and its players into the limelight, but the school itself. Underdog schools experienced a drastic increase in student applications, donations, and season ticket sales.
This year’s tournament was an exciting ride and it’s not even over yet! Check out Activ8Social’s infographic below and let us know what you thought of this year’s March Madness in the comment section.